Monday 10 June 2013

Day 5 - fast no 3...or maybe not

Actually felt a little bloated when I woke up. I think it was the white potato, but I know they don't agree with me 100% which is why I don't eat them much. I usually only have roast potatoes now and then. The last time I had a jacket potato I wanted to fall asleep and just felt tired and sluggish. So don't believe they are a healthy weight loss food because they are not. They are not essential to our diet and we can survive without them. Sweet potatoes are much more nutrient dense and less of a hit of starch. 

Remember starch = sugar. All carbohydrates whether from biscuits, cakes, broccoli or potatoes, all break down into glucose, ie sugar, in the body. The more simple and refined the carbohydrate the higher the hormone insulin is. The more insulin present in the body, the more fat goes into fat storage and fat burning hormones switch off!

So today I'd planned to do a full fast of 20-24 hours...

No I'm not mad and this isn't usual to do so many and on consecutive days, but I have been following a nutrition process this week that I have followed before on another program, which is designed to get you leaner fast. 

All my starch portions are controlled in this first week. One reason, which I touched upon above, is to control insulin and tap into fat burning. It's called carb cycling and I am yet to read up on the science, but I trust the fitness gurus that I follow. We've also used this method with some of our existing clients who have moved their nutrition on from just clean eating, and see some awesome results!

Fasting also gives your digestive system a rest allowing your body to do vital repair to your body, help you eliminate toxins and heal anything that's damaged. This is why hospitals put people in induced comas when they are sick. The body can concentrate on healing instead of having to deal with other energy sapping tasks such as digestion (and we all know how dire hospital food is! How anyone can recover is beyond me!) and movement.

However, I ended up eating late morning. I just wasn't psychologically ready for a full fast today so ate late morning instead. I also felt a bit hungry so think my dinner last night lacked in something, good fats maybe. 
  Meals:

Luxury scrambled egg - veggies, mung bean sprouts and toasted seeds














I then had my first wobble of the week...

I'd planned to make the below ragu sauce before I went out to my late afternoon client but I didn't get to it. So, I arrived back hungry and didn't want to wait an hour before my dinner was ready! Naughty me.

Mind you there are worse things I could have eaten, but I had some cherry tomatoes with hummus...ok that's ok...and a packet of Walkers sweet chilli sun bites, doh! Oh well.

It's not the falling off that counts, it's the how quick you get back on. That and this challenge isn't about me omitting everything 100% this time. It's different for me than someone starting out as I already eat this way most of the time anyway. My priority is to not dive into the sugar on a daily basis. I want to use this experience to be able to have a 'little' of what I fancy without snow balling into old daily habits. 

So that done, my main meal was lamb ragu and courgette spaghetti (made with a very handy gadget called a spirelli cutter).
















Training:

Workout 1: 10 minute high intensity interval workout
Skipping and lower body exercises

Workout 2: weights 
Still not 100% recovered in my forearm but decided to test it out :-/
Lats and triceps, heavy weight supersets - go hard or go home!




















www.EmmaBFitness.com
www.FabulousinaFortnight.co.uk
www.BoffosBootcamp.com
www.OptimisationPlan.com
www.7in7for7.co.uk 






No comments:

Post a Comment